Monday, August 23, 2010

Lifesavers

My mom, Amanda, Heather and Adam came up with us to Boston when we were moving.  They helped us carry all of our things up three flights of stairs.  Adam was a hero.  Without him McKay would be dead and it would be only us girls left.  It took McKay, Adam, our neighbor John and Delys three hours to get the couch up the windy circular stairs.  Needless to say, it barely fit. And it is not coming down, unless we throw it down or chop it in half.  After that long hard day we went into Boston and went exploring.  Here is our T station looks like:
 In D.C. if it isn't brand new it is unusable, so I had a big shock when I came into this thinking it was going to be like the Metro.  But I guess that is how everything is here. Really really old.  This is kind of a random fact but they still have a lot of lead paint in all of these old apartments and houses in Boston. I thought it was funny when we were looking for an apt because we found "De-leaded"to be advertised a lot.
That's a pretty big hole
poor manny
We ventured down to Little Italy. (we mainly went there b/c they had these fluffy doodads in the air but w/e)
Choices... choices...  We decided to go down to Mikes Pastry Shop which is "the" shop to go to and people wait in a line around the block to get their cannoli's and other delicious mini heart attacks.  I LOVED their chocolate chip cheesecake. Yum Yum Yum!
Apparently we had come during a celebration for one of their patron saints and were having a parade and a fair.  The Italian Marching Band came through and this saint thing with money pinned to it.  I just wish one of those bills would fall off...
We ate at one of the street vendors that was there for the celebration.  I tried a rice ball.  It had peas, hamburger, gravy inside the rice ball and it had some sort of crunchy coating on the outside.  It was ok, I think I should have gotten the italian sausage with grilled onions and peppers though. But its nice to try new things.
So all in all we had a fun time and we are glad they came and helped us move in. Thanks!

No comments: