Friday, September 21, 2012

That box project

I finally finished that dang box project!  It took me long enough... (6 months, oops)  So here's how I did it.  I mod-podged newspaper onto the face of the drawers and did a light whitewash over it concentrating the paint more in some areas than others to try to create a lost and found effect.  It looked like a bold move as compared to what it was originally. I also ripped out the gross velvety liners that were in the drawers
 Next I sketched out a tree, decided it would look better flipped around, redrew it, and transferred it onto my box.
The original plan was to just to have a silver outline but you couldn't see it very well, especially with the metallic reflection so I filled it in with silver and outlining it in black.

Then I sanded the outside and painted it with leftover paint I had from that crib I made and refinished the top of the box three times because I couldn't decide what I wanted.  I kept the flying birds on the top and I'm fine with that but now I wonder if I'm now one of those people (see video below.)  I seriously hope not though.  That video actually kinda soured the project for me but I kept on running with it even though I kept imagining in a really nasal voice "Hi, I 'm Jessica Willey, and I put birds on things"
After I put new "cooler" liner in the drawers I ripped them out because it didn't go very well together. Kinda frustrating but oh well.
So here it is finished!! The little iron beastie-heads are too cool!






 Usually I am never a fan of the scrapbook paper on furniture type of gal, but for the back i figured it didn't matter, so what the heck.  The sole purpose of this box project was for me to branch out (heh heh get it?) And now I kinda like it.
 In summary I like pecan woodstain and this box..  I'm not sure what it's purpose in life is yet but it will probably hold my pens and paintbrushes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it! You did an amazing job!

Richard and McKenna said...

Gorgeous! Pinterest worthy :)