As I was brainstorming different ideas for the balcony I found directions to make your own planter. On mine, I just turned my awesome wooden planter into a plant stand/seating area. Here is the sneak preview of what it used to look like a couple weeks ago...
It took only about an hour and it was super easy. All you need is a pallet or two. I just went to Target, asked the manager, and heisted me some of these free wooden beauties. He was actually confused why a little girl like me would want a "useless pallet."
So I built my planter from these directions. It is so easy and the author outlines all the steps.
But if you own a jig saw, you might be interested in these directions. This one looks way more cool, but requires a lot more work.
So some things I learned about pallets are:
1. It is almost impossible to pull the nails out (they are special nails that are meant to stay in.) You are more likely to split the wood than pull it out
2. Lot's of people recommended to use a table saw and saw the nail off rather than pry it out. (This doesn't sound very safe to me though) (I am envisioning a nail flying off and lodging itself into someones eye.)
3. Apparently some of the pallets are treated so people recommend using a liner before you put the soil in. Especially if you are going to be planting something edible.
4. You can build tons of stuff from them like tables, potting benches, chairs, more chairs, shelves, and a whole bunch more stuff



2 comments:
I LOVE it!! I need one to put my herbs in :) I am definitely going to try this.
That's awesome Jess! I also love your lillies in that first picture.
Post a Comment