Sunday, February 27, 2011

Update

For the past couple of weeks I have been working at a hospital as a secretary.  I am back home now and it is SO nice to be back.  Working at the hospital has really turned me into a germaphobe. seriously.  On my unit we have 30 patients and 6 of them have TB, 5 of them are on other airborne precautions, and 5 more contact precautions (stuff like MERSA).  So even though I am sitting at a desk at the nurses station I still feel disgusting after I am done handling all of the charts, communal pens, touching doorknobs, walking down the hall and other activities. I find it super gross that my preceptor eats at her desk.  So I am always washing my hands like crazy. Isn't it crazy that hand sanitizer has no effect against MERSA? 

So one problem with our big hospitals is the ER folks.  I don't know who works down there but sometimes they send patients up to our unit and park them in the hall without telling anyone that they are here. And then they leave. Or they bring them up when we don't even have any open rooms.  We had a huge fiasco the other day when they brought up 5 patients at once without any warning.  Once we got them in their rooms a woman approached me and told me that their family member's new roomate was coughing/gushing up blood from their nose and mouth. An hour later we got a call telling us that several of our new admissions have TB.  Great. We played some pretty fast musical beds to isolate them and get them away from the other patients, family members, and unprotected staff. I'm sure this conversation would go easily "Hey guess what you and your family members might have TB now."

I could never be a nurse. Ever. Don't ever want to be either.

On a lighter note,
I am definitely glad I am back with my husband and in my clean apartment.  So in celebration of my return I decided it was about time I took pictures of my favorite detail of our apt.  Which happens to be the doorknobs! They are so cool and old, and I LOVE the keyholes!! I don't know much about antiques but I heard that some people go into old houses and try to steal old doorknobs like these.  Pretty cool huh?!




This light switch plate is pretty interesting too.   love it!

Maren sent me this cool video in an email and I thought I would share it.
Thought of You from Ryan J Woodward on Vimeo.


Have a good Day!

4 comments:

Stephanie C. said...

When Trent was reading this, he was surprised that people still get TB. I guess we didn't realize that it's kind of common. Sorry about the germs. I could never work in a hospital either. But the doorknobs are BEAUTIFUL! I love these pictures you took.

Stephanie C. said...

Oh and I found this same video about a month ago and watched it over and over again. The illustrations are amazing. The song is stuck in my head now that I just watched it again, but it's a good song so that's ok. :)

Stephanie C. said...

I wish we lived closer. The end. :)

Braiden & Sharon Willey said...

Those pictures are great!!! And that video made me cry... thank! LOVE YOU!