For the past couple of weeks I have been taking care of my infidels, uh I mean invalid family. My grandma and my mom both had surgery so I went down to Maryland to help out. Grandma's arm was cut up pretty bad to get all of the cancer out. Her skin was so tight that if it swelled or if it was bumped the stitches would just pop open. So I spent my days (and nights) with her and we had a blast. For the first week she was under house arrest but once that was over we decided to go on a drive to the Orchard my grandma has been going to for the past 40 years and get out of the house.
Luckily we got there on the first day of the cider season. Delicious. No Preservatives, just raw cider straight from the press. If you have never had cider like this you need to try some. Do not go to the grocery store and think it is the same stuff, it's not. Go to an orchard that has a cider press near your house and get some. This stuff is pure heaven and starts to get alcoholic after a week. So if you get a gallon you gotta drink it fast.
Oh! and I almost forgot. We had some of the slushie cider! I think I have found a new love in life!
This red basket is what the apple pickers wear when they are harvesting the apples off of the trees. And they get lots of apples!
After they pick them they take the crates and lift it onto the gutter thing
Which leads them down the sorting things and they get washed and smashed.
They had huge mums for sale for $5. Just so you know these ones are usually $15-20 in the stores. So my Grandma and her friend Alice stocked up.
We ended the trip with a lunch at Cozy and then drove back home.
:)








1 comment:
We actually have a cider press. When we lived in Taylorsville and had 3 apple trees, we pressed like 10 gallons of cider year. We would freeze it and have cider all winter long. Soooo good!
Post a Comment