Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Los Angeles

McKay and I flew to California this weekend for an optometry interview. We were only there for two whole days and it was rainy the whole time. Total bummer, I thought CA was never supposed to rain. Here are some shots from our flight.
We flew into Long Beach where Norman and Jeremy picked us up.
Our view from our hotel window... big messy palm trees (but very very cool)
We were only a little nervous at the beginning of the day, but after 8hrs of lecture we were just ready to get it over with. But once he walked into the interview room I just about had a stroke right there in the lobby.
This picture is of McKay and all the other kids who were being interviewed that day. It was kinda funny too because McKay is actually a minority in optometry; white males are NOT common. 75% of people in optometry schools are women and 60% are asian. I have never had a woman optometrist before, I wonder where they all go?
Here is the nearest apts to campus I think they are cute but we are not going to live in Pomona (where the school is). Apparently Pomona is #2 for crime in LA county with #1 being Compton. Rent averages $1500 per month around here and that's just the tip of the iceberg. The opt students who talked to us about "campus life" said we were so lucky that we have such a great deal on parking, only $400 for the year. haha. They were sure shocked when we told them we only paid $10 for a year at BYUI and a few of them decided they were moving to Idaho.
After the interview we walked down a street near the campus and got these cutie little shots.
We sat in this restaurant for a while while we waited for our ride to come pick us up. The people there were very nice and one woman who worked there told us that she was going to quit smoking because she hates going outside in the "cold" (60 degree) weather.
Out-of-business sushi restaurant windows...
Very weird random hat... on an antique store. I have yet to figure this out...
We went out to eat with family and I tried cow tongue!!! It was sliced like pastrami and put on a sandwich. I this must be a california thing.
After the stressful interview day we went to Disneyland (for free!!). What a perfect way to end an interview weekend... by screaming your guts out.
Since we have never been to Disneyland we didn't know what any of the rides were like. So we didn't know what to expect when we got in line for "Fairy Land". It looked like a maze with oversized flowers, plants, and other stuff. When it was finally our turn we went into the "maze" turned around the corner and saw these girls with a little fairy outfits who declared "Here we are!" Jeremy, McKay and I just stood there, staring, but stopped when one finally responded "You guys didn't know what you were getting in line for did you?" Definitely not.
Jeremy and I trapping McKay in the middle... he he!
Nice hat McKay, and what is with those gunshot holes in your poncho?

6 comments:

Stephanie C. said...

California is a pretty crazy place. I was born in Monclair, it's near LA. My parents said there were always police everywhere, helicopters flying overhead with criminal spotlights, and you couldn't wear certain colors because of the gangs... pretty nuts. I hope McKay did well. And that $400 parking is also nuts.

~Wyatt~Brittney~Brecken~Oliver~ said...

I wish you were here to take our pics! Want to come for a vaca?! I'll take you to Mall of America, and you can crash on our couch?! Come on! I;m serious!

Jamie Blake said...

Looks like so much fun!!! LA is definitely different from where we are at, but I am sure that you would love it if that's where you decide to move. Once you get over how expensive it is. :) And then we can visit each other. Our closest temple is in LA.

Lindsey Rasmussen said...

So jealous you got to go to Disneyland.. especially for free! That's my most fav. place!! Hopefully everything went well with his interview and you guys can decide what you want to do! Good luck!

Braiden & Sharon Willey said...

Oh I LOVE your pictures! There really awesome, and it sounds/looks like you had a good time, at least it was fun for me to read about!

mom2ky said...

Congrats! I'm so jealous that you will be in warm and sunny California, while I am in SNOWY and COLD Idaho!!!! GRRRR!