Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Homework

This semester I have it pretty easy.  I am only taking two classes.  Elementary Art Methods and Sculpture.   The elementary class is cake, pretty much you just have to participate in class and you get an A.  She doesn't grade on the art.  That is kind of nice when I don't feel like trying (which is happening a lot this semester).

This was one of the projects that I actually put some effort into.  The whole deal with this project was to pick a time period and recreate it.  I did pottery from the Ottoman Empire.  They actually have some pretty awesome things. I wouldn't mind buying a real one but they are all in the $200 dollar range, so thats not going to happen.

Sculpture is good.  I spend a lot of time on my pieces.  As you can tell from the picture no one from my class stays after to work on their projects.  I don't know how they get them done or how they can not do any work outside of class and still expect a good grade.  It is really boring spending working hours by yourself.

My first project was a leather Trompe L'Oeil project.  AKA "make it look super realistic" project. I started by making baby moccasins and my teacher (who had me for ceramics) was disappointed by how small they were.  So I threw in some baby cowboy boots too.  

All of these pictures are still greenware (not been fired) and I still have to finish them.  I will post finished pictures later.  

I know, I know, these moccasins look like ducks... but once I stain them, string leather laces through the holes, and attach some traditional looking beadwork I think (hope) they will look just fine.
This was an interesting, and fun project to do.  I think it would have been a little more fun if I would have broken it up into smaller work chunks (yesterday I spent nine hours on it) Look closely because it is not what is seems.  Once you figure out why look for nine specific "things"


This other picture is of a cadaver's hand.  Ha! Yeah, I would like to think that but no, this is my hand.  Seriously, the clay has sucked moisture out of my hand like salt on a slug.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Cool projects! I like them a lot!

mom2ky said...

Jessica, you are so talented! I marvel every time you post another one of your projects! You are AWESOME!! By the way...when are you coming to visit me???? :)

Stephanie C. said...

you are always so awesome at that kind of stuff!