Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Volkswagens and other lovelies

I'm not going to lie, Rexburg winters scare me.  Negative thirty degree weather really takes its toll on cars.  Last winter the red car died and we have been using Braiden's black car.  The red car has been working off and on (but mostly off) and we finally took it to the shop. Hopefully it will as good as new when we get it back (I wish)

Here is the status of our cars:

1986 Jetta                                      1990 Golf
Red                                                               Black
     250,000 miles                                              350,000 miles 
Currently dead                                            Still running
Back doors only open from inside               Back doors ok
      AC/heat great                                    AC/heat barely works
 must warm up car 30 mins before travel       Can go immediately
                        
                               
I hope it doesn't sound like I am complaining or anything because these cars are beasts, they have lasted through everything (is it that good ol' german engineering?), they are almost historical, and I am glad that we have them to get from point A to point B.  I am just a huge chicken when it comes to unreliability and negative temperatures.

Some girl in my Ed class was complaining about how her car is about to die because she is almost at 100,000 miles.  Give me a break!

Right now McKay's schedule and mine don't mesh well.  He is in class when I'm not and vice versa.  So, when I am doing my reading coach thing at Sugar High, McKay somehow has to get to work.  Most of the time he ends up walking.  For this reason I am glad that the city of Rexburg isn't very big, but in the winter that is going to be a problem.  It would be nice if the red car would rise from the dead and last all through winter.


On a lighter note, I found an amazing deal!
The oil painting classes bought new plastic taborets to replace the old oak ones.  So you know what happened to the old ones?  HAHA!  One word.... surplus!
So this morning McKay, Christy (old roommate,) Emily (another old roommate) and I rushed over to the sale (6:30) before everyone else and were first inline to get one of these bad boys.... 

There were twenty taborets and soon after we got ours there was a stampede of people rushing to get theirs.  One guy was trying to get as many as he could loaded on his truck.  The people who had to wait in line to go into the warehouse were getting angry.  I don't know what they came for but thats why you go early.

It was AMAZING!  New taborets cost around $300 but I got this one for $25!!! Yay! It is very good condition.  As you can see there is paint all over it but what do you think I am going to do when I use it?  Keep it clean? yeah right



1 comment:

Stephanie C. said...

What a steal! Lucky, lucky!