Saturday, April 9, 2011

Haymarket

Almost everything in this city is a rip-off but I found one thing that isn't.  Haymarket, the open-air market that has been held every Fri and Sat (even in the winter) since the 1830's.  It is held in the North End which is in the Italian district (Sue is very proud of this and religiously goes every weekend.) They sell all the produce you could ever want at half the prices of the grocery store.  McKay and I try to go every week to get our veggie on.
 Asparagus for $1

Fish heads, fish heads, rolly polly fish heads! These heads remind me of when I was a teenager visiting my dad's house, and I opened up the freezer and found a whole bag of these.  It scared the pants off of me and my sister! (It belonged to one of his tenants.)

 This man saw me with my camera and he really wanted me to take pictures of his fish.  So he brought out these two beauties


 He told me to stay because he was bringing out a swordfish head! COOL! I should have asked him how much it would have cost.  I think McKay would have a heart attack if I brought this home! haha!
There are some butcher shops too, ones that will even kill your goat and give you it's head! Hoo HOO!



 Bargaining...
 Checking out the seafood...


 Some of these vendors are exactly like characters from a book, they have huge personalities and italian accents.  This little old man was handing out shopping bags so you could buy his food.
 So here's the treasures I came home with,
INCLUDING:
2lbs green beans   $1
         asparagus     $1
   3lbs broccoli      $1
      blackberries    $1
           cabbage     $1
            celery      $1

               Total = $6
               !!!YES!!!

3 comments:

Stephanie C. said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I'm so jealous. All that fresh goodness looks so yummy, and it's so cheap. Walmart can't beat that price!

Classic Jones said...

haha...i love how the guy with the fish posed for you JUST because you had a camera.

One time my friend was fishing, and he caught a really unique fish, and as soon as he turned around another guy stole it to take a picture holding it. It was pretty funny.

Braiden & Sharon Willey said...

These pictures are amazing, it makes me feel closer to you! I miss you guys more than you can imagine!