Monday, June 15, 2009

Abey Baby

You all know that I'm taking sculpture this semester and  I have definitely found our last project the most difficult.  We were supposed to recreate a bust (no, not that kind) and we could choose from three different people.  I chose Abraham Lincoln.  

This first picture I was probably 20 hours into the project, thought it looked ok, went to go get a drink, came back, looked at it and about had a heart attack.  It was hideous and it is extremely frustrating to work on something for so long and only have it look like poo.  I was so angry I couldn't look at it, let alone work on it, so I took a break for about four days until I could cool down.

With only two days until the due date, my emotions calmed, and very good constructive criticism from my sister and husband I decided it was time to get working again.  After cutting his eyes out and chopping other major facial features off I started to enjoy myself and finished the bust... Unfortunately this was only half of the project.
The other half of the project was an abstract of the bust we did before.  In a hurry I tried to come up with cool ideas that would fit my timeframe.  I thought of lots of cool things that would probably take me a month to do, but since it was due the next day I had a major limitation.  But this is what I ended up with.  It's kinda creepy but it was  much more fun to make than the other bust.  During the critique my class was weirded out and pretty much said that I have major issues.  HA!
well, that's ok with me. 
The majority of the work on these busts I did alone, like I have said before NOONE ever comes in after class to work on their projects (which is weird).  After a while of working alone McKay came in and sat with me to keep me company. He started playing with my extra clay and tried to make his own bust.  hehe. Well, you can just ask him how that went. It was so sweet of him to come in and be my comic relief. Thank you!

5 comments:

mom2ky said...

Jessica-----you are your worst critic! I think you did a great job and are so talented! :)

~Wyatt~Brittney~Brecken~Oliver~ said...

you never cease to amaze me! i LOVE that you have such talent!

Stephanie C. said...

I hate it when you think you're doing good on a project, then you leave, come back and it looks not what you thought! That's SO frustrating. BUt you did a great job.

vandi said...

That is soooo awesome! I love it. You are honestly one of the most talented girls I know! I thought they turned out great and your abstract was morbid...yet cool!: )

Carrie said...

Amazing. I am totally jealous. I really like the abstract bust.