Wednesday, April 29, 2009

decorating with cents


Our bedroom has been constantly put on the backburner since we have been in school and all.  Blank walls, piles of junk, and 11 loads of laundry prevailed around the room. I could say that I was purposely going for the disorganized look but I would be lying.  Once I finished student teaching I decided that it was time to fix this problem once and for all.  So here you have it, Mission Organization: $40 or Less


I apologize for my poor cut and paste job for the "after" picture being cut together, but you will get over it. It took a little work and even less money to transform our room into something halfway decent. I'll break it down for you...

2 frames from DI = $9 (that's a rip off I would say)
1 light blue flat sheet = $15 (you could get a cheaper one but I wanted a specific color)
1 jug of liquid starch = $3 (Instead of painting the walls (no-no) I starched the sheet on the wall)
wood for shelf = $12
Paint, stain, and other = $0 (McKay's parents already had some)



One of the main problems was the overpopulation of things on top of my dresser.  I sketched up a shelf and showed it to McKay.  He really liked the idea and told me "Oh that would be SO easy to build."  But this was a totally different story when we were in a house that had TV in it.  Carrie, your brother is also a TV addict. ha! After some begging and some "encouragement" from his dad it was built in 30 mins. I love it!

...now, if only the dressers matched

4 comments:

Jason and Christy said...

That looks so good!

mom2ky said...

Once again...you have created something amazing and beautiful! I wish I was you!! :)

Stephanie C. said...

love it jess! dont you love reorganizing?

Kacey said...

it looks soo cute! Good job!!! You are so creative!