Sunday, April 20, 2008

Geology Extra Credit: Photo of Teton Dam

I took a Natural Disasters class this semester and I needed some extra credit to boost my grade.  The only extra credit available was to go to Teton Dam and take a picture of yourself there.  My friend Natalie who was in the same class wanted to go as well so we decided to carpool.  I brought McKay along and Natalie brought David.   We were driving down highway 33 when we saw there was a road closed sign and a construction truck sitting in the way.  We went up and asked him when the road would be open because we really wanted the extra credit.  He then told us that we could go through with a "special security clearance."  He let us go through and eventually we saw the sign that said to turn left for Teton Dam.  We were turning left and saw a little bit of snow at the entrance of the road.  We all decided that the snow didn't look that deep and we should just go for it... well look were that got us.
We tried to dig the car out but pretty much ended up bottoming out. HA HA!
So it was time for plan B.
McKay and David decided to walk to a nearby (relatively) farmers house to ask for a shovel.  Their walk was a long one.  This is a picture of them walking down the road.  Since Natalie and I didn't want to come out empty handed we decided to walk to the dam and get the picture.
We saw cool snowdrifts.
I think there is supposed to be a road around here somewhere...
These were really big snowdrifts.  We didn't run into one this big but they definitely look smaller when you are in a car.
This was the picture that was worth all of the dough... I got that extra credit in case anyone was wondering.  Natalie and I even asked for some more points since we got stuck and were the only ones in our class that actually made it to the dam.  He didn't give it to us.  All he said was "Thats south east Idaho for ya!"

In case you were wondering how we escaped, while McKay and David were shoveling snow, and Natalie and I were walking back to them, a huge snowplow came and helped us out.  The weather was really bright, sunny, and very warm for Rexburg.  We actually had a lot of fun.


No comments: